[lbo-talk] Noam 1, Israelo-apartheid 0

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri May 21 17:55:46 PDT 2010

Lewontin's piece is very good. Charles' argument makes too strong a distinction between nature and culture for my tastes. As always, Raymond Williams, RG Collingwood, Clarence Glacken, Keith Thomas, Terry Eagleton, Neil Smith, Gayatri Spivak, Donna Haraway, Bruno Latour and any number of others have generated far too many far too empirically and logically strong sets of ideology critiques of ideas of and practices relative to nature and ideas of and practices relative to culture for me to see the terms as anything other than reguarly mutually redefining terms. Lastly, the problems with the terms altruism and love, much less sociality, are exactly the same as those of nature and culture. Is altruism mutualism, commensualism, sociality, some melding of the three, what. I may think that humans are qualitatively different from animals but I certainly don't think any on or small set of culture-bound and historically variable terms like these define the difference.