[lbo-talk] beaches, erosion, etc.

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Sun May 23 07:27:39 PDT 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 9:43 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> There is, of course, this issue,
> http://www.outerbanksshells.com/beachdriving.html. That's about closing
> beaches from 4x4s that go directly on the beach so people can fish, fly
> kites, etc. They're closing some of the access points to protect the birds
> and turtles. But this is about something more than just the birds, this is
> about a claim that the government doesn't want anyone stepping on beach
> grass or somesuch.
>
> I read the letter that is the object of complaint and it doesn't seem
> particularly ominous to me. They don't want people driving vehicles directly
> on the beach.

Searching the Audobon Society's website for Ocracoke produced this:

http://audubonmagazine.org/features0701/incite.html

On the New England shoreline there are a number of areas were the grassy back beach areas, landward of the beach, are roped off for nesting, with designated access paths through them.

Planting grass is a way to stabilize the dunes and beaches, and prevent dunes from drifting over roads and such. It probably helps stabilize the island, too -- that's why they had to move the Hatteras lighthouse: the island shore was eroding towards the foundations. So more irony.

> Also, if Gar is reading, is it true that some environmentalist oppose
> windfarming b/c it might hurt birds?

I've heard of this, not sure what to make of it.

-- Andy