[lbo-talk] ruins of Detroit

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 24 11:57:07 PDT 2010

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> The archives are rich with examples of seemingly small statements --
> for example, 'I wasn't impressed with Joyce's Uylesses' -- attracting
> passionate, proselytizing responses.

And just in case no one else is already writing on this, I'm sure my own posts overflow with such sentiments. Not only that, but a post I'm currently working on and may or may not fiish forms an example of the DNA Dwayne refers to.

Probably such arguments are even useful, but at some point we have to recognize that they _do_ imply a concept of Culture (Arnoldian version) which simply can't hold up. Even if such a Culture existed out there in Platonic space, no one person would _ever_ absorb more than a small fraction of the art it posits.

But it's fun; it's probably irresistible. It contributes in some way. We should still occasionally remember it's nonsense.

Carrol