[lbo-talk] ruins of Detroit

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Mon May 24 10:16:42 PDT 2010

Carrol asked:

Is it possible that both your "not responding" and Joanna's "You should respond" are based on a false conception of the unity of art -- i.e.., that there exists a "good" art worthy of the knowledge and "appreciation" of all, and that there is a line between such art and the art not so worthy.

Oh, I'd say it's not only possible but very likely the fuel powering almost all of the art/culture related arguments which flare up here from time to time.

The archives are rich with examples of seemingly small statements -- for example, 'I wasn't impressed with Joyce's Uylesses' -- attracting passionate, proselytizing responses.

We want to convince one another that the movie/book/music/painting/game/info platform we love is not only meaningful to us and others who share our POV, but is, fundamentally, part of the DNA of well-roundedness, gentle thinking, political sharpness, lovemaking skillz, etc.

Sure, we say *de gustibus*...but in our heart of hearts, it bothers us when people we like and respect do not share our vision of what constitutes the essential and the good.

.d.

P.S.

Anyone who disagrees with me can suck it!

P.P.S.

I'm totally kidding, of course.

P.P.P.S.

I'm not kidding!