[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue May 25 14:49:37 PDT 2010

Michael Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2010 14:07:35 -0700
> Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:
>

>> when
>> we're trying to get things done in an educational organization,
>> turning a blind eye to people who don't do their work causes all
>> kinds of problems for students, faculty, and staff. One example: a
>> faculty member at a vaguely unidentified college I've worked at
>> refused to grade final papers for a number of terms
>>

> This is a pretty unconvincing example, to my way of thinking. Anybody
> who refuses to "grade" is a hero in my book.

Okay, let's think this through from the student's perspective. The instructor doesn't turn in grades: the student loses financial aid, veteran's benefits, worker retraining funds, scholarship eligibility, etc. Without a grade in the necessary course X, the student can't graduate, and without the credentials, it will be more difficult for them to get a job. Given the existing bureaucratic structure and social contingencies, instructors who do not turn in grades are screwing over their students. You really think that instructor is a hero? Really?

Miles