[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed May 26 07:22:57 PDT 2010

It's not easy work, and it's not good pay.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "brad" <babscritique at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:35:35 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

But doesn't the view that in the end the good and bad teachers will even out undervalue the impact of single teachers, good and bad.  What is the point in striving to be an excellent teacher if others are and it all evens out with the bad.

This relates to the thread about how hard we should strive to work. The issue that was not addressed then and is being overlooked now is that some teachers go into teaching because they see it as an easy gig with good pay: people often choose jobs/careers for the pay not the intrinsic nature of the job/career.  I had a high school teacher tell us that once "I really never wanted to be a teacher, but my friends were doing it and the pay looked good for the hours".  If people were allowed to do what they were passionate about (unalienated) then the whole problem of underperforming or how much effort to extend to work would disappear.