[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed May 26 09:30:35 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 02:22:57PM +0000, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> It's not easy work, and it's not good pay.

Compared to what?

Since the students' poverty levels are by far the greatest predictor of academic success, worrying about what to do with the bad teachers causing irreparable harm seems ridiculous.

Similarly, the notion that simply paying teachers more (how much?) would help the struggling students by giving them more good teachers, who I guess can use some magic to turn their sweat and tears into a magical academic excellence elixir, seems likewise absurd. Where exactly are all these excellent-teachers-in-waiting right now? Working on Wall Street?

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim/google/MSN/yahoo: beyondzero123

Like Ma Bell, I've got the ill communication.

-Beastie Boys