[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed May 26 07:24:43 PDT 2010

That's a big IF. Right now the feds want charter schools. That's the

federal policy.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek S" <wsoko52 at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:00:56 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

[WS:]  But that is exactly the problem.  If schools were federally funded on the per-student basis, schools in poor districts would receive the same funding as schools in wealthy district - which would be a great redistribution mechanism.  Furthermore, federal curriculum would eliminate the need for standardized testing - or at least a big chunk of it, which again is an improvement over the status quo.  Finally, federally mandated curriculum would reduce if not eliminate the influence of flat earth ideologues and religious cooks - again a significant improvement over the status quo.

Somebody on this list once commented that the quality of the federal justice system is far superior to the state justice systems in most if not all states.  The same applies to education, imho.  What is more, there is a good reason for federal rather than local funding of education.  Education is a public good - it benefits society as a whole not just a particular locality.  A person educated in one locality is likely to move to another locality after completing his/her schooling - so the local funding of his/her education is in fact subsidizing other localities.  Federal funding would eliminate that.

I understand that this argument goes against the idiotic infatuation of the American public with everything that appears "gemuetlich" and non-institutional - but that is another story.

Wojtek