[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 26 09:04:25 PDT 2010

On May 26, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> I think the fed is pushing it because (a) a lot of people want it and
> (b) the fed impact on education is relatively small, most of the
> action is
> local. Consequently, the fed can afford crowd pleasing without
> fearing of
> doing much damage. However, if the fed were a major player (e.g. as
> in
> Social Security), I do not think it woul ebe so eager to privatize
> education.

Not exactly. The federal money on competitive offer in the Race to the Top has led to a massive increase in state support for charter schools, and increased use of testing in teacher evals. The EduPundits say that Obama has done more to remake the educational landscape in a year than Bush did in eight.

Doug