[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Wed May 26 09:35:23 PDT 2010

On good v. bad teachers I would mean those that care and generally put a lot of effort into it v. those who just skate along and don't really like children (we all had these types of teachers, right?). I went to a really bad H.S. where there we quite a few of those who seemed to really just want to do the least possible and could care less for the students. The idea that the bad teachers have little impact is not true and would mean, as I said, that the good teachers too really don't matter. Clearly they both matter. (I also think that as a society we should be willing to help people, financially and otherwise, change careers when they clearly aren't inspired by or happy with their work. It's such a waste and unproductive in a social sense).

As to weather it is easy or not, kinda depends on where, when and compared to what. Both of my partners parents are former teachers who retired in their early 50s and make more retired than I will probably ever make with my PhD. But that was then and this is now. Of the two of them one would fit into the good category and the other the bad (the bad was generally dismissive of students and used racism as an excuse to not work very hard). I have no idea how you sort it out policy wise, but that's how it is.

Brad