[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed May 26 12:06:43 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 04:55:46PM +0000, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> I work as a technical writer (with a former parallel career in
> teaching at the college level).
> Tech writing earns two to three times the wage of teaching.

That is going to vary by region. Most secondary teachers where I live are making 40-50K, and if we do even have enough technical writers here to form a meaningful average, it certainly isn't 80-150K. Maybe 60-80K.

I only pick this nit because I am often reading that teachers are underpaid in the context of the problems with schools, but I fail to see how simply inflating salaries is going to solve the problems.

Because I agree with you:

> More of the problem is the growing absence of support for teaching
> anything in public school except reading and math.

Wealthier families are going to have the time and money to make up for this loss much more easily than poorer families.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to pay teachers more. And garbage collectors, and factory workers, and librarians, and IT Project Managers, and ballerinas, and scientists, and...

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim/google/MSN/yahoo: beyondzero123

We're a virus with shoes, that's all we are.

-Bill Hicks on humanity