[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed May 26 13:48:40 PDT 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:07:00 -0400 "shag carpet bomb" <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> it's astounding to me that people are so quick to assume there are so
> many incompetents out there, so many lazy asses, so many burdens on
> your fucking world.

Well said. It's amazing how ready people are to believe that other people are stupid, goofing off, incompetent, and so on.

I remember years ago hearing white-collar types at a place where I "worked" tut-tutting about the construction dudes next door, who were moving with stately deliberation around their work site, or gathered in small groups smoking cigarettes and apparently awaiting further orders. (There was, of course, a lot of talk about the iniquitous effects of union work rules.)

But these goof-offs put up a forty-story building in what, six months? Every time you looked out the window, the building was noticeably bigger. I thought this was pretty impressive.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

"I am in favor of leaving people alone, no matter how imperfect their polity may seem." -- Stephen Maturin, MD