[lbo-talk] the novel?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 27 20:16:13 PDT 2010

Mike Ballard wrote:

> shaq wrote:
> Started out with Iris Murdoch on Mike Ballard's suggestion.
>
> *********
> I think it may have been Alice Munro. Anyway, I'm now re-reading
> MOLLOY by Beckett. It's sort of prep as I go see "Waiting for Godot"
> next Wednesday in Perth.

Damn. I completely forgot Beckett when making my list. (The list also left out two of the really great: Bleak House & Our Mutual Friend.) It's been yeaars since I read him, but Malone Dies was simply wonderful. I wonder how it would do as an audio book.

I don't know how his plays would read. I liked both End Game & Godot when I saw them quite a few decades ago. He's a great comic writer, one of the greatest.

Carrol

> You asked, "must every damn modern novel be some sort of mystery?" I
> don't think CATCH 22 or MOLLOY are concerned so much with mystery as
> with about catching us out, tripping up what's taken to be commonsense
> in our daily lives with humour. I read CATCH22 on a troop ship
> crossing the Pacific back in '65 and rolled with laughter below decks,
> in my squashed bunk as I heard the vomiting in the 'head'. MOLLOY
> still makes me laugh out loud every time I immerse myself in its
> 'nothing can be done' absurdities. Flannery O'Connor, when she isn't
> so obvious about her Catholic faith, portrays an atmosphere in which
> the 'banality of evil' is propelled by ignoramuses embracing
> fundamentalist Christianity e.g. "Wise Blood".

About 45 years or so after reading it I still occasionally recall that image of (name forgotten) rowing an inflatable liferaft pass the Pilalrs of Hercules, starting up the Atlantic coast. That little raft, that lonely but triumphant voyage