[lbo-talk] Chomsky regards himself as a supporter of Israel

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 19:32:55 PDT 2010

Joseph Catron wrote:

> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> First of all, you're living in, and I'm guessing a citizen of, one of the
>
>> very many countries in the world forged through ethnic cleansing.
>>

> But not one in which all immigration and naturalization, not to mention a
> number of the rights of citizens, legally hinge on ethnicity.

You're right, we're not one of the countries that do that. Only Israel and scores of other countries around the world do. There are some, like Chomsky, who say Israel should become a state of all its citizens rather than a Jewish state, a position that has some support in Israel (not enough). But that's not your position either.

>> Second, Israel's "ethnic purity" is somewhat dampened by the Arabs that
>> make up 15% of its citizens.
>>

> As I told Michael before, it's 20% now, but be that as it may, how many of
> them do you suppose Israel would hope to "land-swap" away in any final
> agreement?

None of them - at least not in any of the settlements proposed by any Israeli government. That's a very minoritarian position in Israel supported by only a few people, like Avigdor Lieberman (before he entered the government).

> You sound like
> one of the Israeli government spokesmen

Yeah, I get that all the time.

SA