[lbo-talk] Chomsky regards himself as a supporter of Israel

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Sun May 30 01:59:06 PDT 2010

Regardless of what I would ideally wish to happen here, and the fact that Israel by continuing to expand its infrastructure and civilian population into the occupied Palestinian territories, making a form of de facto one state... control over the territory, exclusion of the population... one does have to face up to the likely reality of what would occur in a de jure one state scenario.

The amount animosity and distrust between the populations being what it is, and would continue for a while to come even if equality of rights were given immediately to all from the Med to the Jordan River and masses of Palestinian refugees returned, the situation would be a powderkeg waiting to blow.

Even if 95% of both populations wanted to do everything to keep the calm and move forward, there would be inevitable incidents of tension and frustration leading to even light level ethnic violence, it would only take a few of these until one extremist faction, be they Jewish or Palestinian would 'retaliate' on a larger scale and likely things would move swiftly on the road to open violence.

In this likely scenario, which I really wish wouldn't happen but I conclude is of high probability if my ideal desire (one state and equality for all) would manifest as reality, it is not the Jewish people that I am worried about.

The inertia of the current social, class and military power differentials would suggest that given this likely trajectory, even if a majority of the population was against it turning out this way, it would again be the Palestinians that lose out, and I hate to say, but a situation which would make the Nakba of 1948 seem like a happy dream.

Be careful for what you wish for, you just might get it.