[lbo-talk] Black Panther Coloring Book

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 10:13:47 PDT 2010

What irked me was that I did follow this from the start and your memory is faulty.

The first few exchanges were in fact quite pleasant, things took a turn for the worse when you wrote, with confidence - only later owning up to knowing little to nothing about the topic - the message that started: I do not want to split hair, but they did not stand a chance - cointelpro or not. No armed insurrection in the US stands a chance. Far better armed and organized efforts, such as 'coal wars' were defeated, mainly by private goons only with relatively small government help.

Then, and only then, did Carroll get short with you... and, in addition to that being his style, which you ought to be used and inured to by this point, a good portion of his irritation comes, surely, from the fact of his regular participation in exchanges about the Panthers and their history over - at least - the last two years, conversations which have provided a world of counterfactuals relative to the position you took in the above cited email as well as that presented on wikipedia.

And then, after rather polite corrections from Max, Chuck and Dennis you returned, two days later with this: I'd say macho and very American. Love of guns is American as flag and apple pie. They just followed the American tradition. which simply continued to inflame the issue. You see, you can't say that you're an innocent when - in the face of the arguments already politely presented by Max, Chuck and Dennis - you respond this way.

I was already irked at this point, but then you pulled out Marx... as if it was pertinent, or polite rather than vague at best and superior, certainly. At that point, Joanna pointed out what all the others had been saying, which was that you were just plain wrong in your understanding and historical parallels and only then do you try to excuse your mis-steps with: I'm sorry but I don't really know what I'm talking about, I just really hate guns...

That last bit only goes to show people participating in the thread that all of the historical context that had been provided you, all the complexity, situatedness, and legality of the decisions the Panthers made mattered not a whit to you because you don't like guns. I don't like guns either - witness an earlier exchange about a coyote-killing governor of Texas - but the last thing I'd do is make general and moralistic claims about people and movements clearly run by complex people in complex times unless I knew a good bit about them (which you should have, given - again - that these issues have been hashed out semi-regularly over the last two years.

Why do I care about this, I don't know, maybe (believe it or not) it's sociological solidarity.