[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 19:32:00 PDT 2010

On 11/2/2010 8:06 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Well:
>
>> Lisante, from Miami County, Ohio, said his meetings generally start with the Pledge of Allegiance, followed by a prayer, and then a speaker and a skit - the most recent was about the bank bailout. (Lisante said it was very funny.) The point, he said, is not to organize political action but to educate members and encourage them to become active on their own.
> That's lamer than the Brecht Forum, man. Just how is this a movement?

It's a lot like the Brecht Forum, if 30 million people supported the Brecht Forum.

So they have meetings where people come to hear speakers; the point is "to educate members." That doesn't sound like a movement to you?

Okay, they also do prayers and skits and pledge alliance to the flag. Hey, I didn't say I'd want to go hang out. I said it was a movement.

SA