[lbo-talk] Working Class & the '60s was Black Panther

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 08:49:14 PDT 2010

Alan: "Carrol is arguing that the middle and upper middle income students were working class kids and that, waged or salaried, folks who work for a living are in and of the working class. "

[WS:] Your point is right on the target (although it is not very apparent in Carrol's posting.) But as you well know, the fact that they are defined as working class by their relation to the means of production does not mean that it is how they define themselves. Most of them do not see themselves as 'working class' but rather as "middle class," and I am pretty sure they will refuse to be a part of any "working class movement."

Putting it differently, the working class -as defined by their relations to the means of production - as absolutely essential for resisting the power of capital, but it remains thoroughly fragmented by cultural, demographic or life-style identities of various kinds, and thus remains pretty powerless vis a vis the capital. At this point in time, however, I am not aware of any effective strategy of overcoming this cultural fragmentation and "unite the workers of all country." To be honest, I see little chance of such strategy emerging in my lifetime - and if there appears to be light at the end of the long dark tunnel, the chances are it is the headlight of the approaching locomotive hauling more right wing storm troops to the fry .

Wojtek