[lbo-talk] Working Class & the '60s was Black Panther

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 13:54:15 PDT 2010

On 2010-11-03, at 11:11 AM, Alan Rudy wrote:

> Marv, I think your point is spot on but misses Carrol's concern.
> Carrol is arguing that the middle and upper middle income students were
> working class kids and that, waged or salaried, folks who work for a living
> are in and of the working class.

There are two contradictory thoughts being expressed here: one, that wage- and salary-earners are by definition working class, a point on which I agree; and two, students, who are not "waged or salaried" are working class kids. They're not, even when they come from working class families.

> Like you, I think the material conditions and social institutions within
> which students reside can generate a certain transience to their commitment
> and sustained effectiveness, though I think it is also selling a good number
> of folks active between 1960 and 1980 during college under the bus to
> suggest that they did not - after college - generate and/or look for
> post-graduate political organizations to be part of independent of whether
> they were directly related to their places of work.

Yes, those with post-secondary education have arguably been the most politically conscious stratum of the working class since the 60's. Many have been active in government, teachers', and other public sector unions. But this is beside the point. My argument was that students, "regardless of their future employment" as workers, are not workers while in school and, at best, can only act in solidarity with struggles which unfold outside the campus.