[lbo-talk] Why Capitalism Cannot be Tamed

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 12:12:46 PDT 2010

Nope, Somebody. CB got it right. I was arguing that the birdiness and tanageriness of the different species Darwin's finches is more important than their differences. To my mind, arguing otherwise when it comes to the cultures of different corporations, government bureaucracies, consumer identities (broadly defined to include most all politicized consumption) and local communities in the advanced industrial west all-but completely rejects Marxist analysis of the homogenizing tendencies of capitalism - however much it simultaneously intensifies differentiation within homogenization, Weberian interpretations of rationalization and almost 60 years of community studies starting with Small Town in Mass Society.

On the original topic, I, too, learned from history that the intensity and immediacy of capitalism can be softened and made less inhumane. At the same time, doing so takes a great deal of organization and struggle on the left, organization and struggle to the point that state and corporate elites agree to coopt as much of the protest as they can stand to buy off. Right now, we're in the fourth decade of reaction against the gains forced/won by previous struggles... which most moderate laborites, civil rightsists, environmentalists, feminists, and beyond did not see coming, were unprepared for, and have yet to recover from.

None of this makes capitalism sustainable and most of it simply displaces crises in space and time but its better than nothing (though I'm expecting not to get universal agreement on this from the list).