[lbo-talk] Why Capitalism Cannot be Tamed

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 12:23:30 PDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Alan Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:
> bingo.  can social/liberal democracy survive without a third world to draw
> upon and externalize costs into...  I think the answer's no.

My opinion, too. Just think of the imperial countries of the past (Portugal and its Brazil colony), and what happened to them after they lost the extra income...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Brazil

Of course, colonialism morphs with technology, and what the British empire used to do with ships and cannons, nowadays can be done with its influence in the global financial system.

Or in the case with the US, patents, intellectual property, etc etc

FC