[lbo-talk] Why Capitalism Cannot be Tamed

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 4 06:21:29 PDT 2010

On Nov 4, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> "Orthodoxy"...Postone, if I recall correctly, never uses the term,
> but rather
> calls the interpretation of Marx which he rejects as "traditional,"
> and
> (roughly) defines traditional Marxism as assuming that "Labor" is a
> transhistorical entity, while value-theorists from Rubin on have
> increasingly focused on "labor" as a capitalist category, which
> does not
> exist in any non-capitalist society...

There is no "asssuming" about it. Marx is totally definite on the matter:

"...even if there were no chapter on value in my book, the analysis

of the real relationships which I give would contain the proof and

demonstration of the real value-relation...the mass of products

corresponding to the different needs requires different and

quantitatively determined masses of the total labor of society.

That this necessity of distributing social labor in definite proportions

cannot be done away with by the particular form of social production,

but can only change the form it assumes, is self-evident. No natural

laws can be done away with. What can change, in changing historical

circumstances, is the form in which these laws operate. And the form

in which this proportional division of labor operates, in a state of

society where the interconnection of social labor is manifested in the

private exchange of the individual products of labor, is precisely the

exchange-value of these products. The science consists precisely in

working out how the law of value operates." (Letter to Dr. Kugelmann)

Shane Mage

"All things are an equal exchange for fire and fire for all things, as goods are for gold and gold for goods."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr, 90