[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 09:29:27 PDT 2010

Again, I can't agree with this. Even within the constraints of his neoliberalism, he's a much less engaging, critical, visionary and provocative speaker than he was... in fact, the change in his tone, style and frequency of his speaking was so passive that the monopoly media - given the 24 hour news cycle and the fact that Obama's opponents were saying provocative, robust and regular things - responded accordingly. If it was important to the Obama admin not to be mischaracterized by the monopoly media they had and have a platform for correcting the characterization and filling the monopoly media with different content... but they don't. He doesn't do press conferences of any note, at the ones he does he doesn't say anything of note, and when he does say something of note its more likely to be directed at the unreasonable expectations of the constituency that elected him (as if they were on the left.)

I think most of the policies were pretty lame given what they could have done given the breadth of support they had upon election, but if Obama and his Admin agree with the argument made in that recent Rolling Stone article, of the stance taken at this website http://bit.ly/bvEVyU , then THEY could be the ones making it... but they aren't, not with any verve, volume or vegularity (had to stick with the v-thing), even Obama gave a lackluster defense on the Daily Show.