[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 13:44:15 PDT 2010

Alan Rudy

I remember repeated polls in early 2009 that indicated upwards of 60% of the public wanted a public option, with upwards of 35% in favor of national health care, I remember incredibly high frustration with government secrecy, phone and internet data mining, renditions, Guantanamo, and insurance companies. I remember upwards of 65% support for cutting taxes for those making less than $250,000 and returning the tax rate for those making more to 1999 levels, I remember great support for a return to competence and science-based policy at the EPA and FEMA, I remember great support for strong re-regulation of Wall Street. I remember swing voters looking at Sarah Palin - proto-TPer - in disbelief.

^^^^^^^ CB: So, why would any of these people vote _Republican_ , given that it was clear that the main barrier to all of this was and is the Republicans ? I mean crystal clear. Yeah Blue Dogs , too. but mainly the Reps.

This is the major flaw in your argument. The Republicans should have gotten a bigger beating than the Dems from anybody with the above majority opinions paying attention to how all this went down.