[lbo-talk] Neoliberal Europe vs. Keynesian USA

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 16:20:07 PDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/5/2010 2:19 PM, Angelus Novus wrote:
>
> Hahaha, how many people in the darkest Bush years ever thought this would
>> be an
>> actual constellation of forces?
>>

> But this has been true and well-known for years. Jean-Paul Fitoussi and the
> other establishment Keynesians at the French forecasting institute (OFCE)
> have been comparing US macropolicy favorably with Europe's since the early
> 80's.
>
> What I'd like to learn from you, since I don't read German, is why
> Germany's unique political/economic culture is so exceptionally hardline
> about inflation and rigor. The cliche is that it's bad memories of Weimar
> but that sounds a little too pat to me.

My preexisting bias would be to say (for Europe in general, not Germany in particular) that there are more spillover effects for a bunch of medium-sized countries than for a single large country. But that produces the wrong prediction for the Kraut response to American monetary expansion. So, uh, no idea.