[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 19:16:05 PDT 2010

Shane: How stupid can you get? The Dumbos were trashed be their 2008 voters by *not voting*.

Somebody: Both you and Alan seem to subscribe to the view that there's a vast reserve army of nonvoters silently waiting to be mobilized by a true left-wing leader. I wish that this were true, but I prefer to stick to the empirical data rather than to what's ideologically comfortable.

So, what's the evidence that turnout was especially low in this election? Actually, there's none. Right now estimates are of around 41% of the voting age population coming to the polls for this election. We'll see if that number holds up. If it does, it would actually be high by recent standards for a mid-term election. Indeed it would be higher than any mid-term election since 1970! That was the last mid-term election before the adoption of the 26th amendment which expanded the voting age population to include young people, who of course don't vote as much as the elders.

Incidentally, voter turnout in national elections has been roughly stable for 40 years. Again, I don't see much evidence of voters signalling their protest against neoliberal economics by not coming to the polls. So, let's please stop engaging in wishful thinking.