[lbo-talk] Greenberg post-election survey

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 08:04:04 PDT 2010

Your point that "worst of all, this perspective is shared by most adherents/followers/members" is an important one. Leftists have openly confronted the liberal and social democratic leaderships of the unions and union-based parties for generations and have historically come out on the short end. I know from my own past participation in the unions and the NDP that the consciousness and combativity of the members is not generally ahead of the leadership, as is commonly assumed by Trotskyists and other leftists who subscribe to "crisis of leadership" theory. But there are certain times and situations when the ranks become restless and unhappy with the direction of their leaders, and my reading of Democratic party politics is that the period since Obama's election has been one of those rare conjunctures, when it becomes especially necessary to project an alternative.