[lbo-talk] Greenberg post-election survey

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 07:02:53 PDT 2010

My reaction to this last, very good, sentence was: "Huh, I wonder if the DP and union leadership ever even consider mobilizing their members/base or if the social movement/grassroots politics model is beyond their ken..." My sense, sadly, is that party, union, and DC-based "movement" organizations see themselves as leaders who direct adherents/followers/memberships not as the temporary heads of democratic organizations... and, worst of all, this perspective is shared by most adherents/followers.memberships. I know, quite well, that there have always been tendencies in this direction and that the 1955-1975 period of increased bottom-up driven activity is the anomaly in the second half of the 20th C... but it's still depressing.