[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 08:34:19 PDT 2010

Alan: "Obama's campaign energized a base and drew the middle/swing/independent voters in 2008. His Presidency has disappointed the base, middle, swing and independents who voted for him and has passively fostered bipartisan"

[WS:] Do you have any empirical evidence of this, as opposed to the alternative hypothesis: that voters wanted to "punish" the party in power by voting for a challenger? The latter only assumes that if things are going south, the electorate will vote against the party in power - which is "received wisdom" in policy analysis - the former requires an additional assumptions about political preferences of the electorate, which requires empirical proof. Can you cite any?

Wojtek