[lbo-talk] Sacrificial rationality

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 03:46:51 PST 2010

Re: "I'm the one who thinks that in the US antipathy towards the government is both rational and praiseworthy."

[WS:] If I wanted to hear anti-government rant, I would join a right wing or libertarian group. They do it much better.

Wojtek

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2010, at 7:30 PM, Wojtek S wrote:
>
> Shane: "your caricature of the philistine notion of mass irrationality"
>>
>> [WS:] If there is any caricature here, it is the above statement. I did
>> not
>> say it is "irrationality" but rationality of a different kind than the
>> Weberian "purpose rationality."
>>

> Well, you are the one who wrote about "irrational antipathy towards
> government." And I'm the one who thinks that in the US antipathy towards the
> government is both rational and praiseworthy.
>

> It is the same rationality as one underlying magic rituals since the
>> beginning of humankind. Check out Malinowski's anthropological studies of
>> myth and magic or Meyer & Rowan's
>> work on myth in modern organizations.
>>

> How amusing to hear that these eminent empirical sociologists have some
> pipeline to the "beginning of humankind." Despite being good god-fearing
> Christian gentlemen, they have not the least conception of why every myth,
> every religion, every magic ritual expresses the notion that *the gods are
> to be feared. the gods are greatly to be feared*
>
> Shane Mage
>
> God said to Abraham, kill me a son
> Abe said man, you must be putting me on
> God said you can do what you want, Abe
> But the next time you see me coming, better run.
>

> [WS:] So face it, lefties, the voters decided to sacrifice Democrats to
>>>>
>>> So you say nobody can know what motivates Obama/Summers/Geithner/Bernanke
>>> &
>>> co., but you *know* that the *Obama-2008* voters who dumped the dumbos
>>> were
>>> motivated (to stay home, to vote Repugnicon, to spoil their ballots) by