[lbo-talk] Sacrificial rationality

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Nov 8 06:35:06 PST 2010

On Nov 8, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> Re: "I'm the one who thinks that in the US antipathy towards the
> government
> is both rational and praiseworthy."
>
> [WS:] If I wanted to hear anti-government rant, I would join a
> right wing
> or libertarian group. They do it much better.

Among things you don't understand are syntax. "Anti-government" signifies a general attitude towards government as such, government in the abstract. "Antipathy towards *the* government" signifies an attitude towards a *specific* government, that corrupt gang ruling "in the US." The people know that the government (called "Washington" or "City Hall" or "Wall Street") does many needed things--badly, and many more of vicious things--quite well.

Shane Mage

The communist creed: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need. The capitalist creed: From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed.

Joe Stack (1956-2010)