[lbo-talk] Sacrificial rationality

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:20:46 PST 2010

Shane: ""Antipathy towards *the* government" signifies an attitude towards a *specific* government, that corrupt..."

[WS:] All I am saying is that this is what the Repug noise machine has been spewing for for the past twenty plus years, so I do not need to hear this shit from someone who is supposed to be on "our" side. The trick is knowing what to say when. One may not like his parents smoking crack, but one does not say that in front of a cop. Or using another analogy, some Jews were capitalists, but Germany ca. 1935 was not the appropriate place and time for bringing this point up.

As to your argument that public mood depends on material living conditions - true, but only to a point. Fear mongering is deeply embedded in the US culture in bad as well as good times - deTocqueville already complained about it. It is an integral part of selling anything from snake oil to public policy and to real estate in the "afterlife." And this is what really turns me off about this country's political culture, regardless of whether it is labeled "essentialist" (whatever that means) "transshistorical" or shit on a stick.

Alan: "the Obama won while explicitly eschewing fearmongering"

[WS:] This assumes that all those who pulled the lever for Democrats in 2007 did so for Obama rather than against Bush. I doubt. I think that some of them (like myself) might have been impressed by the civility of Obama's discourse (even though I was not that impressed by his policy proposals,) others simply wanted to sacrifice the party in power for "bring bad times,"

and since the "bad times" are still with us, the latter sacrificed another set of politicians.

As to the rest of your posting - I gather that you do not like what I think about certain things in America. Well, c'est la vie, so we have to agree to disagree on those things.

Wojtek