[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 9 10:45:16 PST 2010

Marvin: But you're right, there has been over the past three decades a qualitative decline in class struggle in the West...

=======

This has been normal for 200 years. Periods of "class struggle" (or, more accurately, challenges to capitalist hegemony) are the rare exception. But they always come.

And, of course, Luxemburg was perfectly correct: humanity may well lose the struggle against barbarism. There are no gurarantees in history: that was a fantasy of the 19th-c, grouded in a silly transfer of "progress" in technology to "progress" in social relations. That was seriously ridiculous.

All we can do, as we have been doing for 100K or so, is keep up the struggle.

Carrol