[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 17:45:21 PST 2010

On 2010-11-09, at 1:45 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Marvin: But you're right, there has been over the past three decades a
> qualitative decline in class struggle in the West...
>
> =======
>
> This has been normal for 200 years. Periods of "class struggle" (or, more
> accurately, challenges to capitalist hegemony) are the rare exception. But
> they always come.

Different forms of class conflict, notably strikes and demonstrations, have been a normal feature of the system for 200 years. What's been exceptional are episodes of intense and often violent class conflict, typically accompanied by the growing appeal of revolutionary ideas. The last such period was in the 30s. The level of class consciousness and combativity in the West is now at its lowest ebb, although the downturn has lately sparked some resistance in Europe. I can't tell from your comment above whether you share this understanding or not.