[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 09:57:20 PST 2010

I see, you get to read poorly en route to reactive responses to misinterpreted single posts - rather than collegially giving sparing partners credit for the breadth and scope of their prior contributions, political sophistication and decades of work generating their positions - and no one gets to point it out... but if we do, we get the childish mainstream sociological slap that we're just generating inconsequential humanitarian lit crit arguments and accusations of wasting your oh-so precious time. Because, surely, no sociologist or person with left political leanings has any responsibility for careful reading, reflective arguments or a knowledge of ideology critique... we just need the facts, your facts.

Thanks for reminding me that I really do need to do a better job of limiting myself to the disciplinary boundaries critical and interdisciplinary scholars and activists have been knocking down for eons. Mea culpa, I'm going to head over to those 1960s-educated Stanford mathematical sociologists that undermined my career arc and apologize for wasting their time - and, even worse, that of their students - with the kinds of historically informed, geographically situated and semiotically rich environmental, science, medical, urban and cultural studies I argued for in curriculum meetings and taught in my seminars. Next time I see EP Thompson or Raymond Williams or Walter Benjamin or Antonio Gramsci or Dorothy Smith or Donna Haraway or Michel Foucault or Bertell Ollman or David Harvey or anybody who like them, I'm gonna kick them in the nuts for taking me down such a totally irresponsibe set of intellectual and political paths... damn I hate them and thanks for reminding me.