[lbo-talk] Debt Commission Targets Social Security, Medicare

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Nov 11 10:30:49 PST 2010

Given the number of people already on SS, given the number of people already living in poverty, given the number of people that are within a stone's throw of being eligible for SS, given the number of people who are one paycheck away from the sidewalk....I'd say the majority of people in this country understand that the only thing standing between them and starvation is SS.

The ruling class seems to think that the thing to do in the middle of an economic catastrophe is to keep the tax cuts for the rich and cut social security and medicare. I think they are miscalculating.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "lbo83235" <lbo83235 at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:22:03 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Debt Commission Targets Social Security, Medicare

On Nov 11, 2010, at 1:09 AM, John Gulick wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2010, at 12:10 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>> This thing's DOA. Too much to hate for too many people.
>
> The White House can repudiate the "extremism" of the chairmen, and counter-propose benefit cuts of 35% and revenue increases of 15%.
> Huzzah! Huzzah! Obama saved the entitlement programs from the pillagers!

Apologies for previous unfinished message; hit send by mistake while trying to ensure thread quotes were attributed correctly.

The question I had wanted to ask in response was, to what degree do you think most Americans even understand how SS works and what it means for them materially at the end of the day - i.e., how it translates into food, electricity, etc.?

Does the hate even register on radar for most of the people towards whom it is directed? To what degree?