[lbo-talk] Debt Commission Targets Social Security, Medicare

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 10:50:30 PST 2010

On Nov 11, 2010, at 8:30 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Given the number of people already on SS, given the number of people already living in poverty, given the number of people that are within a stone's throw of being eligible for SS, given the number of people who are one paycheck away from the sidewalk....I'd say the majority of people in this country understand that the only thing standing between them and starvation is SS.

I would sincerely - even desperately - like to believe that you're right; I just don't see it. Where's the outrage? Why aren't Americans burning shit in the streets? How bad does it have to get? When did gutting SS become an even remotely broachable subject?

> The ruling class seems to think that the thing to do in the middle of an economic catastrophe is to keep the tax cuts for the rich and cut social security and medicare. I think they are miscalculating.

I think it's the difference between believing it's something they think is "the thing to do" and believing it's something they think they can get away with. I think they think they might actually be able to get away with it. If nothing else, it's about re-calibrating the scale - and if only on that level, I think they might be right.