[lbo-talk] Imperial Chickens Come Home to Roost

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Nov 12 13:44:00 PST 2010

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> ``I can't think of many contemporary artists who speak about their work
> in a way that communicates anything...'' Dennis Claxton
>
> Yes, that whole mentality made art education a joke. And it pissed me
> off as a student. Sitting in a seminar was a bore.

I'm not following this. Expecting visual artists to say/write something interesting about their work is like expecting musicians to communicate something interesting about their work by doing a watercolor painting.

Visual artists aren't trained to be writers or lecturers, so I don't really expect to get much enlightenment from them about the meaning of the work they produce. The important, tangible thing is the art work itself; what the artist has to say about it is more or less irrelevant.

Miles