[lbo-talk] Imperial Chickens Come Home to Roost

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 13:53:03 PST 2010

That's not really true. Da Vinci wrote about painting, Van Gogh detailed his self-education as an artist meticulously. The idea that artists are not conscious about the work they do is wrong. Perhaps not all of them have the skills to articulate what they're doing, but, from my acquaintance with dancers, most are pretty damn good at describing what they're doing, at least to other dancers.

How else could you teach?

Joanna ----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles Jackson" <cqmv at pdx.edu> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:44:00 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Imperial Chickens Come Home to Roost

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> ``I can't think of many contemporary artists who speak about their work
> in a way that communicates anything...'' Dennis Claxton
>
> Yes, that whole mentality made art education a joke. And it pissed me
> off as a student. Sitting in a seminar was a bore.

I'm not following this. Expecting visual artists to say/write something interesting about their work is like expecting musicians to communicate something interesting about their work by doing a watercolor painting. Visual artists aren't trained to be writers or lecturers, so I don't really expect to get much enlightenment from them about the meaning of the work they produce. The important, tangible thing is the art work itself; what the artist has to say about it is more or less irrelevant.