[lbo-talk] delusional

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Nov 15 19:33:43 PST 2010

> The cognitive deficiency here probably has something to
> do with the fallacy of composition combined with every
> Amurrican's conviction that s/he is that special snowflake
> who will be rich ever-so-soon (because, you know, this is
> Amurrica and ANYONE CAN GET RICH).

I think it's got something to do with the idea that most people have that the tax system is progressive: the more you make, the higher your taxes will be. If only that was true! Someone making $40k/yr doesn't see that if they just made $100k, their taxes would actually be "less" because they'd have so much more incremental net income.

So they say: I hate *my* taxes, I can't imagine how awful taxes are for someone making twice what I do!

(of course you're not rich in the US until you're over about $500k/yr of income, but we digress)

/jordan