[lbo-talk] Arne Duncan = Bill Gates

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Nov 19 14:45:41 PST 2010

Yeah. Sometimes they want schools to be run like businesses; sometimes not.

I have not yet worked for a hi-tech company that did not give higher wages for advanced degrees.

Motherfucking thugs.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com> To: "lbo-talk" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 1:59:04 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Arne Duncan = Bill Gates

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010, The Chronicle of Higher Education was cited saying

> http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/duncan-rewarding-teachers-for-masters-degrees-is-waste-of-money/28478

> Duncan: Rewarding Teachers for Master's Degrees Is Waste of Money
> November 19, 2010, 2:11 pm

> In a speech at an American Enterprise Institute forum on Wednesday, the
> secretary of education, Arne Duncan, said state and local governments
> should rethink their policies of giving pay raises to teachers who have
> master's degrees because evidence suggests that the degree alone does
> not improve student achievement. The remark was part of a speech about
> ways lawmakers can use current budget shortfalls to make public schools
> more productive. Mr. Duncan has consistently advocated tying teacher pay
> to student performance, but he has rarely taken shots at credentialing
> programs.

Holy fucking shit. He appalled me 4 times in the first 2 sentences. That's gotta be some kinda record even in These Our Times.