[lbo-talk] Rats

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 22:45:36 PST 2010

, magcomm <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> > I was trying to think of a good Nicolas Cage movie
> and couldn't come up with anything.
>
> RUMBLE FISH and THE COTTON CLUB both by Francis Ford Coppola
>
> WILD AT HEART by David Lynch
>
> RAISING ARIZONA by the Coen Brothers
>
> SNAKE EYES by Brian De Palma
>
> FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH by Amy Heckerling
>
> An adequate, if not overwhelming number for an actor of his time.
>
> How many great movies has Meryl Streep actually been in? Most times, she
> gives an interesting performance in an undistinguished (visually and
> otherwise) film.
>
> Brian

Well, most movies are undistinguished, visually or otherwise. Streep can rise above the material and deliver, as you say, an interesting performance in an uninteresting film. Many actors take Michael Caine approach, and sign on to any project that will cut them a check; but the good actors who do this, like Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Samuel Jackson, and others can stand out even in dreck. Cage usually delivers a lousy performance in a lousy movie. In the films you've named, Cage was decent in films directed by five of the most skilled directors around, not the most rousing endorsement. Cage is the poor man's Kevin Costner.