[lbo-talk] Rats

Rory Dufficy rory.dufficy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 01:21:23 PST 2010

> > I was trying to think of a good Nicolas Cage movie
> > and couldn't come up with anything.
> >
> > RUMBLE FISH and THE COTTON CLUB both by Francis Ford Coppola
> >
> > WILD AT HEART by David Lynch
> >
> > RAISING ARIZONA by the Coen Brothers
> >
> > SNAKE EYES by Brian De Palma
> >
> > FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH by Amy Heckerling

To these films I'd want to add, on the shlock side, FACE OFF by John Woo, which manages to licence overacting from both Cage and Travolta as they try to out ham each other playing the same character, and on the (at least slightly) more elevated side, Herzog's recent "remake" of Bad Lieutenant, where he allows Cage to channel his inner Klaus Kinski. Of course, this means that the argument that cages strongest films are those in which he's working with a very good to great director is only further strengthened.

This video should be sufficient to demonstrate why this is wrong, and incidentally highlight the dubious but very real charm of Cages performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1-oquwoL8