[lbo-talk] RIP Chalmers Johnson

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Nov 24 08:24:58 PST 2010

On 11/23/2010 9:27 PM, Eubulides wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Carrol Cox<cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
>> There was no tendency whatever for anything remotely like capitalist
>> relations to emerge in developed and productive empires.
>> Carrol
>
> That's irrelevant. Capitalism is no more an aberration than so-called
> Feudalism or Mercantilism or Zen Buddhism.

Those are historical accidents too; there was nothing necessary or natural about the emergence of Zen Buddhism in human history. It happened because of a complex series of historical contingencies. (Are you assuming the word "aberration" implies that there is some True Path of Human Progress that capitalism has corrupted? I don't think C. does.)

Miles