[lbo-talk] RIP Chalmers Johnson

Eubulides autoplectic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 09:13:10 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

>> That's irrelevant. Capitalism is no more an aberration than so-called
>> Feudalism or Mercantilism or Zen Buddhism.
>
> Those are historical accidents too; there was nothing necessary or natural
> about the emergence of Zen Buddhism in human history.  It happened because
> of a complex series of historical contingencies.   (Are you assuming the
> word "aberration" implies that there is some True Path of Human Progress
> that capitalism has corrupted?  I don't think C. does.)
>
> Miles

ab·er·ra·tion [ab-uh-rey-shuhn] Show IPA –noun 1. the act of departing from the right, normal, or usual course. 2. the act of deviating from the ordinary, usual, or normal type. 3. deviation from truth or moral rectitude. 4. mental irregularity or disorder, esp. of a minor or temporary nature; lapse from a sound mental state. 5. Astronomy . apparent displacement of a heavenly body, owing to the motion of the earth in its orbit. 6. Optics . any disturbance of the rays of a pencil of light such that they can no longer be brought to a sharp focus or form a clear image. 7. Photography . a defect in a camera lens or lens system, due to flaws in design, material, or construction, that can distort the image.

So, which one Carrol?