[lbo-talk] RIP Chalmers Johnson

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 09:37:55 PST 2010

Re: "Remind us again; what's the non-aberrate baseline historical epoch which facilitates your judgement that capitalism is an aberration?"

[WS:] It depends how you define capitalism. If it is a value system based on the "homo economicus" or "economic rationality" model that treats selfish individualism and hoarding of profits at the expense of entire society without any obligation to reciprocate as the fundamental norm of human behavior - it is an aberration that emerged and gained popularity only very recently, some two hundred or so years ago. The norm for humankind was the opposite - social solidarity and reciprocity - because it was essential for survival.

Wojtek