[lbo-talk] Wikileaks according to The Guardian

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 21:27:59 PST 2010

I disagree. What comes across in the diplomatic cables I've seen so far is how duplicitous the Arab regimes are concerning Iran and Israel. In the case of Iran, its apparent how bloodthirsty countries like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, and the Gulf states are. Who can honestly call Iran the aggressor when you have country after country asking the United States to consider bombing Iran for simply posing a hypothetical threat? Moreover, the documents reveal that Egypt, the PA, and other Arab countries were privy to Israeli plans to attack Gaza, and were totally complicit in the atrocities they committed there. These discoveries will be explosive in the Middle East, and are already provoking reaction there.

The thing about Wikileaks is that they're pretty equal opportunity. In the U.S. we tend to be self-centered and there's been little attention to what they've uncovered abroad. But they've leaked documents in the past that have transformed Kenyan politics, embarrassed the East Timorese government, exposed the Church of Scientology, and shone the spotlight on Thai censorship. They deserve our support, such as it is. Moreover, the accused leakers, including Bradley Manning, deserve our support.