[lbo-talk] The Horrible Swiss

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 29 09:19:31 PST 2010

Note: When I speak of a "probably bloody process" I do not refer to armed conflict. If such occurs in a revolution it is only _after_ the initial success of the revolution, agains a counter-revolution. The bloody process leading up to a revolution is mostly blood shed by demonstrators the troops fire on; the end of the process is when the troops refuse to fire. Kent and Jackson State murders by National Guard or State Police were just a hint of what happens in the complex (and unpredictable) chain of events which can culminate in demonstrators refusing to stop until they are massacred. That happened in Tiananmen Square -- the troops fired. It didn't happen in Hungary 1956: that insurrection was a success but crushed by outside interference. (Nota Bene: the relevant category is "insurrection against a modern state," not (as Marv once argued) "workers' insurrection against a capitalist state." In either case, victory or defeat depends on whether the troops are willing to keep on firing until the demonstrations are crushed.

But however that may be, the process is lengthy and complex which leads to scuh confrontations, and abstract _choices_ of a precise goal is NEVER involved at any point in that process. Hence the silliness of SA's question.

Carrol