[lbo-talk] European Welfare State

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 12:04:07 PDT 2010

joel:

> In your experience, on the German left, has there been any efforts to classify
>or understand discrimination against German Muslims, as being consistent with
>anti-Semitism?

I'm not sure if I understand the question. Do you mean anti-Muslim racism in terms of being a sub-category of anti-Semitism, or rather than anti-Muslim racism is often perpetrated by people who are also anti-Semites?

If the former, not really, that I know of anyway. Much of the theorization of anti-Semitism seems very indebtned to Postone, in one way or another, either adopting Postone' theses or modifying them, i.e. anti-Semitism as a projection of certain characteristics of modernity and commodity society onto Jews. I actually find this limiting in a way; not that Postone is wrong, just that there are manifestations of anti-Semitism that I think don't fit neatly into that schema, such as one reference is made in bourgeois newspapers to the "Old Testament character" of the Middle East conflict.

A friend of mine, who publishes widely on anti-Muslim racism and queer studies, said in an article that Anti-Muslim Racism was basically an elitist liberal discourse in Germany, a sort of genteel liberal racism, whereas your average Stammtisch racist doesn't distinguish between Muslim and non-Muslim foreigners. I would have agreed with this analysis as recently as a year ago, but in light of the Sarrazin thing, I'm wondering if Anti-Muslim racism doesn't offer a perfect genteel cover for a more generalized racism.

I think the best analysis on the phenomenon of Anti-Muslim racism has been done by the Gruppe Soziale Kämpfe, btw. I don't know if you read German but the stuff is worth checking out. They remind me of Slavoj Zizek in a lot of ways, actually, in terms of seeing racism as a sort of re-coding of the social question (i.e. the class struggle) : www.gruppe-soziale-kaempfe.org