[lbo-talk] European Welfare State

Joel Schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 12:53:31 PDT 2010

Thanks for the considered reply, Angelus. This is all fascinating, and a great answer to my question.

I meant something closer to being a sub-category. There is a level of identification, for example, many Jews feel (especially Israelis here), with Turks.

Part of it is positional (the 4 million Turks in Germany are viewed as 'replacements' for Jews) and because the racism they are subject to feels similar.

Granted, its not the same, but the intuition of parallels, of overlaps, of otherness, as similarly hybrid Mideasterners/Europeans is still there.

To answer your question, no, I don't speak German. It is clearly something I'm going to have to master.

Thanks, Joel